- Preheat oven to 425.
- Put squash, mushrooms, and onion in the bowl of a food processor and pulse till the pieces are about the same size as your ground meat.
- Pour your processed veg into a large bowl and combine all remaining meatball ingredients and mix thoroughly. My meatballs were rather soft (almost soupy really) but, no worries, I’ve got a trick for you.
- Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Scoop 1-2 tablespoons of meatball mixture into your hand and loosely form a ball then place in your muffin pan, continue with the remainder of the meatball mixture. If you don’t have a mini muffin tin you could probably use a cookie sheet sprayed with oil, just up the amount of bread crumbs if your meatball mixture seems too soft to hold together.
- Cook meatballs at 425 for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through. Prepare the sauce while the meatballs cook.
- In a large saute pan, heat the butter over medium heat until melted.
- Gently whisk in flour, stirring until the mixture is smooth and continuing to cook until the color changes to a light brown.
- Combine 4 cups of water and bullion of your choosing (I use vegetable), and add to the roux, again stirring until smooth.
- Add jam, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and season to taste. Remove from the heat.
- Once the meatballs are cooked, add them to the sauce and stir to ensure they’re evenly coated.
- Serve over noodles and enjoy!